Alert archive / Arizona / Areal Flood Advisories in 2021
Areal Flood Advisory 7, NWS Las Vegas, NV
NWS Las Vegas, NV issued this areal flood advisory at Jun 29, 2021, 6:33 PM MST for Mohave County, Arizona. It was in force for 3 hr.
The area
The counties it named.
The facts
- Issued
- Jun 29, 2021, 6:33 PM MST (01:33 UTC)
- Expired
- Jun 29, 2021, 9:45 PM MST
- In force
- 3 hr
- Issued by
- NWS Las Vegas, NV
- Area
- Storm-based polygon
County Mohave County, AZ
The radar
The Las Vegas radar (KESX), 102 km from the middle of the area, began a volume at 01:33 UTC, the scan nearest the moment this went out.
Open the radar archive at this moment
The archived warnings, watches and discussions in force at that minute are drawn over the scan, this one among them.
The nearest sounding before it
Flgstf/Belemont, AZ (KFGZ), launched 00:00Z, 1.6 hours before the alert went out and 185 km from the middle of its area. This is the routine balloon launch nearest before it, the air the forecaster had in hand, not a measurement taken for the alert.
- Mixed-layer CAPE
- 4 J/kg
- Mixed-layer CIN
- -83 J/kg
- Mixed-layer LCL
- 2139 m above ground
- 0-6 km bulk shear
- 10 kt
- 0-1 km storm-relative helicity
- 12 m²/s²
- 0-3 km storm-relative helicity
- 51 m²/s²
- Significant tornado parameter
- 0.0
- Supercell composite
- 0.0
What forecasters said that day
The local office's own words before this areal flood advisory went out, as it sent them, from the Iowa Environmental Mesonet's archive of National Weather Service text.
NWS Las Vegas, NV wrote its last area forecast discussion before this areal flood advisory went out at Jun 29, 1:00 PM MST, 5 hours 33 minutes earlier.
Area forecast discussion, Jun 29, 1:00 PM MST, 5 hours 33 minutes before
Area Forecast Discussion National Weather Service Las Vegas NV 100 PM PDT Tue Jun 29 2021 .SYNOPSIS...Increasing monsoonal moisture will lead to chances for showers and thunderstorms each day through Thursday. The main threat in the Sierra and southern Great Basin today will be dry lightning before the deeper moisture arrives tonight, while the main threats in much of the Mojave Desert will be high winds and flash flooding. The highest chances for widespread precipitation will be Tuesday and Wednesday before the moisture slowly retreats the second half of the week. Cooler temperatures are expected through Thursday before a drying and warming trend returns this weekend into next week. && .SHORT TERM... Current hi-res models have a complex of precipitation continuing overnight, likely similar to or a bit more robust than what we saw last night. However, confidence is low in this forecast as short- term models are split on how long convection will persist overnight. This will play a big role into Wednesda's forecast. If we keep the clouds and showers through the night, then Wednesday's thunderstorms chances will be limited and better chances will displaced north of our area. If the precipitation ends around midnight like some of the models show, then Wednesday afternoon will likely have another round of showers and thunderstorms. Flash flooding threat looks to be slightly higher tomorrow compared to today as PWATs increase again overnight with another moisture push and storm motion is forecasted to be slower than the past few rounds of convection. If anything develops in southern Clark, Mohave, and southeast San Bernardino counties Wednesday, they could produce flash flooding. The wind threat for that same area should be lower tomorrow though as we better saturate the low levels. Further north where dry air near the surface will likely still exist, sudden gusty winds will be the main concern. The Red Flag Warning for fry thunderstorms will likely be allowed to expire at 8pm as a better push of moisture is likely this evening and overnight. HREF shows PWATs up to an inch push into the region by tonight. Otherwise, temperatures on Wednesday should be cooler than today, and maybe even below normal in some locations where clouds persist through much of the day. The low confidence in the forecast continues for Thursday, as again Wednesday's storm activity will influence Thursday's overall expectations. In general, heights should rise through the day as high pressure builds in slowly from the southeast. This will likely dry out things a little, though some moisture should remain in place over the region. Ensembles differ on how much moisture will remain over southern Clark into Mohave counties Thursday, with ECMWF ensembles show a high chance for PWATs over 1inch still in place over that region...but the GEFS showing it drying out quicker and the 1inch PWAT probabilities are far less. Thursday has some potential for another round of thunderstorms, but definitely not a slam dunk either. .LONG TERM...Friday through Monday. Tropical moisture from the remnant tropical system Enrique lingers south of the area through the long term with the GEFS mean forecasting anomalously high precipitable water pooled across much of our area. 1.5-2.0 inch mean PWATs are forecast in the region just south of our southern CWA border on Friday with the 1-1.5 inch mean line extending across central and eastern San Bernardino County, over much of Clark County and southern and central Mohave County Friday afternoon. The moisture profile based off the GEFS mean is largely unchanged through the weekend before an eastern Pacific trough moves in from the west bringing drier air to much of the area on Monday except in the far southeast CWA where the probability of 1 inch PWATs are in the 50-70 percent range. Temperatures are forecast to hold steady right around normal Friday through Sunday then warming a few degrees to above normal on Monday. However, it is worth noting the uncertainty given the fairly large temperature spread. && .FIRE WEATHER...Dry low levels/inverted-V soundings will remain in place through early this evening before the better moisture works its way in, so thunderstorms this afternoon and evening will likely start as dry then transition to wet by tonight. Even though there is a short window for dry thunder, the extremely dry fuels justify erring on the side of caution. Sudden gusty winds are also possible with any of these storms, so new fire starts could easily be spread. Better moisture will spread across the entire region by tonight, with improving RHs likely Wednesday. && .AVIATION...For McCarran...Scattered thunderstorms are expected to develop later this afternoon and evening over southern Nevada. There is still a good potential to see a thunderstorm complex producing wind gusts over 35kts and CIGS of 6 to 8k feet move near or over the terminal this evening. Winds should go variable once again overnight before southeasterly winds return tomorrow, along with the chance of more thunderstorms. For the rest of southern Nevada, northwest Arizona and southeast California...Prevailing south to southeast winds are expected over much of the area this afternoon with speeds 10-15 kts. Scattered thunderstorms are expected to develop this afternoon and evening over the Sierras and southern Nevada leading to gusty and erratic winds at times through the evening. Some isolated gusts up to 40kts will be possible with stronger storms along with CIGS to around 6k feet. Typical diurnal winds are expected later tonight and tomorrow morning before the threat of more storms returns. && .SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...Spotters are encouraged to report any significant weather or impacts according to standard operating procedures. && SHORT TERM...Nickerson LONG TERM...Salmen AVIATION...Planz For more forecast information...see us on our webpage: https://weather.gov/lasvegas or follow us on Facebook and Twitter
In the hours before
Local storm report, Jun 29, 5:11 PM MST, 1 hour 22 minutes before
<!doctype html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
<meta charset="utf-8">
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">
<title>Service Notice</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="index.css">
</head>
<body>
<main class="wrap">
<section class="card" role="status" aria-live="polite">
<div class="status" id="status">Temporary Notice</div>
<h1 id="headline">This service is currently unavailable.</h1>
<p id="message1">
The site you requested is temporarily down for maintenance or an unexpected outage.
</p>
<p id="message2">
Please try again in a few minutes.
</p>
<p class="small" id="detail">
If you are an administrator, restore upstream service and remove the redirect/fallback rule when normal operations resume.
</p>
</section>
</main>
<script src="index.js"></script>
</body>
</html>Local storm report, Jun 29, 5:38 PM MST, 55 minutes before
<!doctype html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
<meta charset="utf-8">
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">
<title>Service Notice</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="index.css">
</head>
<body>
<main class="wrap">
<section class="card" role="status" aria-live="polite">
<div class="status" id="status">Temporary Notice</div>
<h1 id="headline">This service is currently unavailable.</h1>
<p id="message1">
The site you requested is temporarily down for maintenance or an unexpected outage.
</p>
<p id="message2">
Please try again in a few minutes.
</p>
<p class="small" id="detail">
If you are an administrator, restore upstream service and remove the redirect/fallback rule when normal operations resume.
</p>
</section>
</main>
<script src="index.js"></script>
</body>
</html>Local storm report, Jun 29, 5:51 PM MST, 42 minutes before
<!doctype html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
<meta charset="utf-8">
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">
<title>Service Notice</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="index.css">
</head>
<body>
<main class="wrap">
<section class="card" role="status" aria-live="polite">
<div class="status" id="status">Temporary Notice</div>
<h1 id="headline">This service is currently unavailable.</h1>
<p id="message1">
The site you requested is temporarily down for maintenance or an unexpected outage.
</p>
<p id="message2">
Please try again in a few minutes.
</p>
<p class="small" id="detail">
If you are an administrator, restore upstream service and remove the redirect/fallback rule when normal operations resume.
</p>
</section>
</main>
<script src="index.js"></script>
</body>
</html>Local storm report, Jun 29, 6:16 PM MST, 17 minutes before
<!doctype html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
<meta charset="utf-8">
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">
<title>Service Notice</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="index.css">
</head>
<body>
<main class="wrap">
<section class="card" role="status" aria-live="polite">
<div class="status" id="status">Temporary Notice</div>
<h1 id="headline">This service is currently unavailable.</h1>
<p id="message1">
The site you requested is temporarily down for maintenance or an unexpected outage.
</p>
<p id="message2">
Please try again in a few minutes.
</p>
<p class="small" id="detail">
If you are an administrator, restore upstream service and remove the redirect/fallback rule when normal operations resume.
</p>
</section>
</main>
<script src="index.js"></script>
</body>
</html>The office that day
Everything else NWS Las Vegas, NV issued on the same UTC day.
| Issued | Product | Office | Counties | Lasted |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| Jun 29, 5:14 PM MST | Severe Thunderstorm Warning | VEF | Clark | 46 min |
| Jun 29, 5:21 PM MST | Flash Flood Warning | VEF | Clark | 7 hr |
| Jun 30, 2:16 PM MST | Areal Flood Advisory | VEF | Nye | 3 hr |
| Jun 30, 3:30 PM MST | Flash Flood Warning | VEF | Lincoln, Nye | 105 min |
| Jun 30, 4:03 PM MST | Areal Flood Advisory | VEF | Lincoln | 3 hr |
| Jun 30, 4:55 PM MST | Severe Thunderstorm Warning | VEF | Esmeralda, Nye | 48 min |
Nearby
Areal Flood Advisories in Arizona, 2021Every areal flood advisory in 2021
Sources
The product and its follow-ups from the Iowa Environmental Mesonet's archive of National Weather Service and Storm Prediction Center text; the sounding from the Mesonet's radiosonde archive; radar from the NEXRAD Level II archive.